Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 2: Truro, NS to Amherst, NS

Why a Fully-Loaded Bike is Like a Decrepit Sailboat

Distance: 142.6 km*
Riding Time: 6:43*
Average Speed: 21.1 km/h
Max. Speed: 50.1 km/h
# of coyotes spotted crossing the road: Just 1 :)

*These stats include a 10 km trip backtracking to Brookfield to look for sunglasses that I later discovered in a pocket in one of my bags...


Wind - in the face. Mountains - kind of (I don't know if the Cobequid mountains pass as true mountains). I've come to the conclusion that a bicycle, fully-loaded, is like a hybrid between a decrepit sailboat and a rowboat. If the wind is behind you, you  are sailing, but if it's in your face you gotta row your ass off to basically get nowhere. This is the reason that cyclists wear those fancy, peter pan-esque tights - not for fashion as you might have previously thought. Anything that flaps in the wind is slowing you down basically. This might even be the reason that some cyclists shave their legs, but I'm not going there...yet. haha.

Anyway, the roads weren't bad for the most part, past Oxford a little rough. It was a long ride, but I made it to Amherst, the bordertown between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. I'll be heading to Shediac, NB tomorrow, only a short 80 kms and I've decided to take a day off and visit Parlee Beach for some relaxation. The water should be warm and hopefully the sun is hot.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment