Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 6: Black River, NB to Beresford, NB

The Cars in the Drive, But Nobody's Home

Distance: 102.5 kms
Riding Time: 4:27 hrs
Average Speed: 23.0 km/h
Max. Speed: 50.1 km/h
# of off-topic stats today: zero


Today I woke up at around 6 am to thunder showers. I decided that I'd wait it out and if it didn't slow down that I would just take the day off. Luckily, the rain stopped at around 8:30 and I started to get going. After a quick bite to eat at Tim Hortons I jumped on the NB-8 headed north to Beresford, just passed Miramichi. This highway was lacking for a good shoulder and also traversed a very desolate forested area; so my only entertainment was my mp3 player. I ran out of water halfway between the middle of nowhere and ghost town, so I started knocking on doors in a very small residential area. I must have knocked on 10 different houses - nobody was home! There were cars in the driveway and doors were left wide open, but there was no one  to be seen. I started to think that these were one of those mock-up nuclear testing villages that the military uses. I eventually found a small diner down the highway where the counter person filled my water bottles up (with a roll of her eyes) and I was on my way.

After I arrived in Bathurst I travelled through the town and grabbed a bite to eat. There was a nice church that I passed that had a spiral staircase going all the way up the steeple tower. I didn't manage to get a picture though because I was tired and wanted to get to the campground in Beresford.
Camping Malybel is about 10 kms outside of Beresford to the north. It comes with all the amenities, including a pool and a big, twisty waterslide. However, after climbing the 8 flights of stairs to the top of the slide I found out that it costs an extra $9 a day to go down it. What a rip off! So I settled for swimming in the kid-infested pool instead.

Tomorrow I'll be heading to Campbellton, NB on the border with Quebec.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment