Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 7: Beresford, NB to Campbellton, NB

Fraises: Le Fruit de L'Amour

Distance: 114.3 kms
Riding Time: 5:08
Average Speed 22.2 km/h
Max. Speed: 57.7 km/h
# of enormous steel salmon spotted: 2

A gorgeous day right from the beginning.  I got on the road shortly after 9 am, which is early for me (I'm getting better at being a morning person). After reaching the coast of Chaleur Bay the views were amazing. I took the long way to Campbellton, opting to stay off of the busy NB-11 hwy that would have cut out the hilly town of Dalhousie. The views across the bay were well worth it though.

I stopped by a fruit stand selling locally grown strawberries, and after a long day cycling I devoured the whole quart on the spot. A very kind lady named Rita from a nearby town named Val D'Amour offered them for free after we had a long and interesting conversation.

Arriving in Campbellton with the sun shining off of the water of the Restigouche tide head and public fountains providing a welcoming cool mist, I am blown away by the beauty of the place. There is a huge steel salmon monument jumping out of a large fountain who goes by the name of Restigouche Sam. Restigouche Sam is a protected species and cannot be harvested by those without a permit, so there goes that plan (I brought my fishing rod, but so far no fish). Restigouche Sam is sitting almost directly across from a large bridge that spans the waterway and connects New Brunswick and Quebec. Tomorrow I'll be entering the land of the Quebecois.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment