Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Day 3: Amherst, NS to Shediac, NB

Shoulders - The Broader, The Better.


Distance: 73.3 km
Riding Time: 3:34 hr
Average Speed: 20.4 km/h
Max. Speed: 36.2 km/h
# of giant lobster sightings: 1

Today was an easy ride compared to yesterday as I only went about half the distance, but two important things happened:

1) I drove safely on the Trans-Canada Highway (TCH). After some consultation with a motorbiker at the information center at the border, I found out that the shoulders were actually quite wide on the NB-2 Hwy, and that my original route was a two-lane highway with very narrow shoulders. So, after some deliberation and a quick prayer I mustered my courage and pedalled onto the highway. With a 5 foot shoulder most of the way it was easy going, way better than my previous experience on the NS-103 (read: no shoulders + 115 km/h average = scary!). I can only hope that my inevitable run-ins with the TCH are equally as good in the future.

2) I found someone willing to let me camp in their backyard. I was nervous at first about asking favours like this of random strangers, but it turned out great. Thanks to Nap and Susan Pellerin of Shediac for being so kind and inviting to a random cyclist. Again, I hope my experiences with this backyard camping campaign will go equally as well in the future - although I doubt that I'll always get breakfast cooked in the morning like here!


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment