Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Day 50: Winnipeg, Man. to Carberry, Man.

"I'll take a Fat Tony special, please"

Distance: 174.3 kms
Riding Time: 6:26 hrs
Average Speed: 27.0 km/h
Max. Speed: 45.0 km/h

Dylan, Katie and I were all set to put in a long day today and we had our sights set on Brandon, Man., 215 kms away. However, we all were super sluggish in the morning (Likely due to late nights and lavish lifestyles) and after packing, breakfast and saying goodbye to Bev, we were on the road by 11 am - not the time you want to start a 200 km day at. Oh well, we would get as far as we could.

Heading out of the city, I felt energized after so much rest and we were expecting a tailwind today, so that was a major bonus. I noticed early on that Katie was lagging back quite a bit, so Dylan and I waited for her to catch up. You could see the pain on her face when she caught up. She said that she had a lot of pain and stiffness in her thighs and it wasn't looking good. Well, I felt really bad about leaving them behind, but I had to get a move on so that I could meet Shawn in Regina in time.So, after saying goodbye I took off alone again, which felt like a crappy thing to do at the time with Katie in pain; kind of felt like I was deserting them, but I really had no choice - I had to get going. I just hope it is only muscle cramps and nothing too serious.

Well the tailwind that was promised was indeed delivered and I was cooking with gas. I went my first 125 kms in about 4 hours, but I had only been taking breaks every hour and was beginning to feel some fatique coming on. I slowed down and took breaks more frequently, but when the sun started to fall in front of me I found myself near a small town called Carberry, still about 40 kms away from Brandon. I stopped there and grabbed a delicious pizza at a restaurant and now I am camped out in the woods by a farmers house. Hopefully he doesn't find me and turn me into pig feed, but I can hear that his dog is all to unhappy with my presence. Gonna keep on tomorrow, but I hear there's rain forecast as well as headwinds >: (


View Larger Map

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ryan! My name is Amy, and we bumped into you somewhere in Eastern Ontario, as myself and a friend (from Edmonton) cycled East. Remember? No worries if you don't, we know how it is when you are on the road meeting TONS of people. Anyways, we finished our trip about 2 weeks ago and while we were in Halifax we met a couple (don't know their names), whose daughter is apparently good friends with you. It was fun to make that connection... small world. I just took a moment to read a few of your entries, and it's great to read, smiling at some of the similar feelings/experiences you are having. I like to ask Ontario those very same questions! haha Congratulations on the journey thus far, and all the best in Calgary! If you are in Edmonton, drop us a line! av@amyvisser.com

    ReplyDelete