Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Day 52: Kirkella, Man. to Indian Head, Sask.

Might as well just walk at this speed!
Distance: 184.7 kms
Riding Time: 7:17 hrs
Average Speed: 25.3 km/h
Max. Speed: 36.8 km/h
*Look at the average compared to max. speed - no hills here!

It's getting cold. As soon as September hit, its like summer dissipated. I tore down camp and left right away this morning hoping to find a breakfast joint across the border. Found a place to eat and got on my way. It was really pretty chilly and i tried my best to find the balance between sweating and freezing under all the layers I was wearing. It eventually got warm enough out, and I was able to take off my toque and gloves, but I kept on my super sexy arm and leg warmers, mostly for fashion purposes.

Lately the roads have been great! Highway 1 has been pretty solid for shoulders, save for a few sections east of Winnipeg. Now that I'm in Saskatchewan the shoulder is quite a welcome presence as well since the speed limit has increased to 110 km/h. Oh, and the time changed again, so that is the final change now - 3 hours behind home.

Today was my last day for riding solo because my brother is meeting me and biking back to Calgary with me. We were suppose to meet in Regina, but since I left Winnipeg about two days behind schedule, I was really behind on time. I made it far today and could have gone a bit further if the weather conditions had stayed the same and the wind had remained out of the South, but as I approached Indian Head, the winds became really intense (~35-40 km/h) and directly in my face. I was going about 10-12 km/h for a good 1/2 hour until I reached the town, which I had been staring at for a good 30-40 minutes. The high winds probably came from the thunder storms that I could see for miles around me, but which remained only a threat until I managed to reach town. I got a good panorama shot of the sky though.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment