Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Day 51: Carberry, Man. To Kirkella, Man.

Just another bordertown

Distance: 166.8 kms
Riding Time: 8:03 hrs
Average Speed: 20.6 km/h
Max. Speed: 46.6 km/h

Last night went okay, except for the super intense thunder and lightning storm accompanied by torrents of rain at about 12:30. The pound of the rain and thunder made sleep difficult until about 2:30 am or so. Even though the rain is not good for me, Manitoba has had a very dry summer, so this rain is much overdue. Strange to think that they've gone from near monsoon conditions in the spring and early summer to almost drought. It's so dry that I see the charred remnants of brush and grass fires along the highway, most likely due to careless cigarette butt discarders.

I got up at about 6 am and set off on a cold and overcast day. The wind was blowing from the NW and it was slowing me down quite a bit. After a pit stop for breakfast in Brandon, I got in about 130 kms by 4:30 pm. The headwinds were definitely slowing me down, but I decided that after I had a bite to eat and a rest I would continue heading to the Man./Sask. border as it was only 45 kms away. The winds had calmed by the early evening so I managed to make it to a visitor center on the border where I set up camp for the night. Before bed I had a little more to eat and planned to get a solid sleep because I am planning on a 200 + km day tomorrow in order to meet my brother outside of Regina.

Wish me luck!


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment