Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Day 58: Swift Current, Sask. to Maple Creek, Sask.

Feeling like a raisin in this heat

Distance: 134.7 kms
Riding Time: 5:09 hrs
Average Speed: 26.1 km/h
Max. Speed: 42.2 km/h

Shawn and I got up and to the bus station to catch the bus at 11 am. First we had to find a box to put his bike in, and we found one at a local bike shop nearby to the bus station. The bus turned up finally at about 12:15 pm and after saying goodbye to Shawn I took off in the stinking heat.

I was only planning a really short day because it was so late in the day and the heat was really oppressive, but when I got to my destination, Gull Lake, I felt like still going. Despite the 31 degree Celsius temperature and super dry air that left my skin caked in salt from sweat that evaporated instantly, I made it to Maple Creek, Sask. I'm staying in a really old, dingy motel called Prairie Pride Motel, which is quite ironic because there is nothing to be proud of. But it's better than nothing and at least there's a bed, although it's probably full of bugs and most likely was once a crime scene.

Tomorrow I'm heading in to Alberta and will try to reach Brooks; about 200 kms away.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment