Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Day 54: Pense, Sask. to Moose Jaw, Sask.

Slow & Steady

Distance: 42.1 kms
Riding Time: 2:14 hrs
Average Speed: 18.7 km/h
Max. Speed: 30.6 km/h

Well I have to say it: this morning we flew the coop!

This morning we left the comforts of our chicken coop/palace dubbed Le Maison de Hearn. Last night was interesting to say the least. There was a busy family of gophers or prairie dogs under the floorboards of our coop and at one point in the night a lone coyote was calling directly beside our shelter, which was pretty spooky at the time.

Our ride today was really short for a couple of reasons: Shawn's Achilles tendon has been hurting him a lot, so we wanted to rest that up (I had a similar problem when I first started too, but it went away after a couple days). We also wanted to get into a larger town to pick up supplies and get some proper accommodations - not that I have anything against chicken coops, they just don't have any plumbing.

Now that Shawn is with me and I have a permanent riding partner, things have definitely changed about this trip. Experiencing travelling both solo and with others I can say that they each have their upsides as well as their downs.

Travelling solo is now my norm. I set my own schedule, goals, pace, rest breaks, I decide what/when to eat, etc. I didn't have anyone with me before, but I never really felt lonely so that was okay. Well, I can't say never and I can't say I didn't have anyone with me either. I did get lonely here and there and I did miss home and my friends, but I was always meeting people.

If I can go on a bit of tangent - I have met a bunch of people and I really think it is these people who have made my trip really special. It's even people that I haven't really met, but who's story I've become acquainted with; in particular, Terry Fox. His story is a staple of Canadian Culture, but I think it takes a long, hard look at him, as a person to begin to understand his motivation and the pain, sacrifice and love he must have had to attempt such an extraordinary journey. And travelling along the same roads he once did puts things into perspective a little bit too, although he was running, and on one leg! I think once you get passed the legend and the simple blurbs and statistics you're shown in school, you can really feel his experience on a personal level. And for me it is something awesome.

Anyway, back to solo riding vs. riding with a partner. Riding with someone is like living with someone in a stressful situation. You really get to know a person and there's no better way to form a bond, although sometimes personalities do clash a bit. Of course, this gives you the chance to work on your communication and learn to resolve things before they get out of hand. Another benefit is that you share expenses, like motel rooms, campgrounds etc. But at the same time, you are always tethered to that person, so it becomes less of a personal journey, so depending on what your intentions or preferences are, travelling with someone or solo is a choice to be made.

Enough deep thinking for now. Tomorrow we'll go about 80-100kms to a small town before some other small town.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment