Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Day 59: Maple Creek, Sask. to Brooks, Alb.

Only sign that I am sweating profusely: salt caked on skin
Distance: 206.9 kms
Riding Time: 7:56 hrs
Average Speed: 26.0 km/h
Max. Speed: 57.7 km/h

Today was a grind and a half. I decided last night that rather than stopping at Medicine Hat today as I had originally planned, I would push on for Brooks, which would add another 100 kms onto my day. I knew it would be hot and dry today, but I felt ready. Got going at a decent time - about 9:15 am - and my pace was fast. At around 11 am I started to feel the heat of the sun and knew that I would be dealing with some high temperatures as there is currently a heat wave passing through western Canada.

There isn't much to see in the Badlands of Canada in the way of scenery. It's rolling, parched earth, spotted with cattle farms and stagnant pools of water with a surprising number of waterfowl. After crossing the border I reached Medicine Hat, the self proclaimed "Gas City", and didn't stick around because my time was short. The rest of the ride consisted of me gritting my teeth and drinking as much water as I possibly could, although the local water is not suitable for drinking so I had to be aware of my supply. I rode straight through until the sun set and then a little more, and I eventually made it to Brooks, Alb. I found a campground at the entrance to the town near a restaurant, so I set up there.

Tomorrow I'll head another 200 kms into Calgary. It is going to be a strange feeling to not be planning to leave in 1 or 2 days. I was getting used to the idea that I was only a transient presence in the towns and cities I passed through, but now I'm stopping and have no further destination...yet. I'm going to enjoy exploring the city and meeting people, making contacts and looking for meaningful work. This is what I've come all this way to do and tomorrow I'll start that journey - right after a solid night or two of celebrations.

See you tomorrow, cowboy.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment