Thursday, August 04, 2011

Day 12: Riviere-du-Loup, Que. to L'islet-sur-Mer, Que.

 Who Needs Tailwinds When You Have Super Fast Old Guys?

Distance: 113.2 kms
Riding Time: 4:29 hrs
Average Speed: 25.2 km/h
Max. Speed: 56.2 km/h
*I broke 1000 kms on my odometer today! 

The weather and lady luck were in my corner today. The sun was at full strength, but it was not humid thanks to the thunderstorm that passed the night before.

On my ride today I met an older (~65 years) gentleman cycling who was very fast and let me draft him for about 10 kms going about 30 km/h (pretty fast for an old dude!).

At a rest stop I met 2 older Quebecois gentlemen who indulged me with a cold beer and conversation in broken English and French. And then, just as I was leaving the rest stop another gentleman offered me some ice cold water and a ham sandwich AND some watermelon. He was truly a God in my eyes.

Then just to top things off, after a very beautiful sunset over the St. Lawrence at L’Islet-sur-Mer I met a father and son, supported by a vehicle driven by mom, who were doing the exact same trip as me except they were going west to east. They were even using the same book as me, Canada by Bicycle by Steve Langdon (www.canadabybicycle.com). They were kind enough to give me some maps as well as some friendly advice. All in all, today was a great day.




View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment