Monday, August 29, 2011

Day 44: Prawda, Man. to Winnipeg, Man.

Prawda, oooohhhhh that sounds fancy

Distance: 125.5 km
Riding Time: 5:09 hrs
Average Speed: 24.3 km/h
Max. Speed: 42.5 km/h

Got on the road today eager to get to Winnipeg - my first big city since leaving Ottawa. I was kind of excited to see it because I've never been and I'm wondering what the "heart of Canada" looks like. So far it is a great city, but like all cities, for me anyway, it's kind of hard to navigate at first -especially considering that there is a an intersection of 5 or so other streets called Confusion Corner. I guess in contrast to just strictly staying on the main highway, making a few turns here and there just gets me totally disoriented now haha.

The ride today from Prawda wasn't that long at all and I made 100 kms in under 4 hours with the help of a very rare, but much appreciated tailwind. At some point after entering Manitoba, the hills and turns all ceased to exist and now it is endless straight highway in front of me and behind. I'm finding it kind of hard to keep track of time while on the road because of the lack of scenery change, and, if I forget time, I can go an hour or more without stopping and not even realize it.

After making it to Winnipeg, I met up with Katie and Dylan at a bike shop. Dylan had to put his bike in for a tune-up so he could be bikeless until Monday or so (It's Thursday today). So we are staying at a friend of Katie's childhood home. Tonight we decided to celebrate our exodus from Ontario with some screw drivers and a rest day or two coming up.

Probably Saturday I'll head out on my own towards Regina to meet my brother and then cycle to Calgary.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment