Saturday, August 27, 2011

Day 40: Upsala, Ont. to Ignace, Ont.

What is the price to buy the wind?

Distance: 112.2 kms
Riding Time: 4:56 hrs
Average Speed: 22.7 km/h
Max. Speed: 48.3 km/h

Not sure what is up with all the strange place names, but I'm here in Ignace, Ont. (If anyone can enlighten me as to the origins of these names, please do).

I'm really beginning to believe that common opinion is actually fact when it comes to westerly winds across Canada. I have not excluded writing about when I have had a tailwind, and without counting I think there's been about 5 days, maybe. Today, the wind was equally uncooperative - blowing in my face at all times, sometimes very strong. It also felt quite chilly...perhaps fall is in the air. This might be true, but I hear there is a heat wave on the way from the west.

Anyway, I only almost got hit by an 18-wheeler once today, so that's not so bad. I'm really getting tired of highway 17 and Ontario in general. There is absolutely no consideration given to cyclists by those who designed these roads. If I were to do this trip again, I would skip Northern Ontario (sacrificing beautiful scenery for safety) and probably try to find a route through the states. I must say, though, that the majority of drivers are quite considerate, so I can't complain - it's just that it's those near misses that really last in your memory.

I'm only about 300 kms from the Manitoba border, so I'll probably get there in 2-3 days. Not exactly sure where I'm going tomorrow, but it will be about 100-150 kms west of here.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment