Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day 25: Pisimi Bay, Ont. To Sturgeon Falls, Ont.

Knock on wood. Zero flats since Halifax!

Approx. (comp reset itself again)
Distance: 83.1 kms

I only planned a short ride today because I desperately needed a new tire. My old rear tire served me well though; about 3000 kms of mostly loaded touring, and zero, count it, ZERO flats! I’m cursing myself right now as I’m typing this, but seriously. If you need quality gear in the HRM make sure to go see Jeff Mayhew at Sportwheels in Lower Sackville. www.sportwheels.ca. The tires I used are Vittoria Randonneur. Excellent!

Anyway the heat was less so today due to a little cloud cover. Turns out yesterday was something like 35 degrees Celsius! Yikes. After reaching North Bay I visited Cycle Works and fixed up my wheels. I also picked up some good gloves because my hands were falling asleep on the bike. I got to Sturgeon Falls and visited a No Frills grocery store. I stashed my bike in the woods behind the store because there were some sketchy looking folks hangin’ round. When I went to get it afterward I found a bunch of blackberry and blueberry bushes. I felt like a wild animal gorging on those, but they were delicious.  

I caved and ended up getting a site in a Sturgeon Falls campground, but I’m definitely going to do more free camping when I reach Lake Superior. 
Tomorrow’s destination isn’t set in stone – just know that it’s west.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment