Friday, August 26, 2011

Day 36: Nipigon, Ont. to Thunder Bay, Ont.

Recumbent Romance à la France

Distance: 113.4 kms
Riding Time: 5:56 hrs
Average Speed: 19.0 km/h
Max. Speed: 48.3 km/h

Today was a really difficult day because of the wind. It was very strong and gusty and directly in our face for the most part. We left around 10 am and very quickly ran into problems. Katie's rear tire went flat and we found a staple had pierced the tire. After fixing that one we only went another 10 kms or so and Dylan lost a nut for his front rack (for carrying the bags on the bike). After fixing THAT, we were jokingly saying that I was next. And lo and behold, I managed to get my very first flat tire! I had picked up a staple too. This was my first flat after 3000 + kms, though, so my luck was strong, but we  shall see how, or if, it continues.

We met up along the way with a french couple who are biking around the world for 3 years on their honeymoon. They are super cool and have the strangest bike I've ever seen. It's a tandem with a regular bike in back and then a recumbent in front. I'll include a photo when I can upload them (he says that all the time).

We're staying at one of Katie's family friend's place in Thunder Bay. She's got connections everywhere it seems. The French couple are staying at a house that a random stranger they met offered to them while he was away.

Tomorrow we might head out or we might take it easy and do repairs, etc. We shall see.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment