Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day 31: Montreal River, Ont. to Wawa, Ont.

Wawa what'd you say?

Distance: 109.5 kms
Riding Time: 4:33 hrs
Average Speed: 24.0 km/h
Max. Speed: 66.8 km/h!!!

Well I`m about a month in and I think that I`m about halfway through this journey. Before I left, while corresponding with other cycle tourists, a common phrase was that a trip like this is "a life changing experience". Before I began and even for the first couple of weeks I never realised how true this statement could be. I think the change though, actually came even before I left Halifax. It all started to change when I followed my heart, regardless of the risks/dangers, uncertainties, inexperience, assured loneliness, physical challenges, etc. There were sooooo many reasons I was told that his idea was crazy. And coming from people I love and respect it was hard to ignore. I'm glad I did.

Today I woke early after assuredly one of the best sleeps I have gotten in a long time. Perhaps it was the easiness of the company I was with, or the two cold pills I took before bed. Nonetheless, 6:45 am found me in an excellent mood. After breakfast, I took some pictures with Les Dames de Coeur, Robin and John. The comradery was hard to part with, but I was faithful that more positivity was in store for today.

The climbs today started right from the get with a 3 km grind out of the valley leading to the Montreal River. Along the way I met a couple, Nick and Patrizia, who were driving west with no particular destination in mind, but just taking whatever comes their way. Kindred spirits. We shared some snacks while we chatted looking at a gorgeous panorama of Lake Superior with Montreal Island in view. The ride was up and down, then back up again, but I felt strong and always looked forward to the descents after the long climbs.

Eventually I came to Wawa where I planned to meet up with a relative; my Aunt Ellen's brother's family, the Macdonell's. Before I got a hold of them I stopped at a Timmy's for a snack and coffee and ran into Bob and Lucie, some friendly strangers who invited me to visit them in Pukaskwa provincial park near Marathon, Ont. Lucie is the artist in residence at the park and Bob is a cyclist himself. I look forward to getting to know  them.

The Macdonell's are a lovely and busy family of six. Mom and Dad, Debbie and Raymond, sons Breton, Josh and Ryan and daughter, Amy. Even though I've never met them before, I instantly felt at home and welcome.

I'll take (another) rest day tomorrow and work on non-biking related  things, then I'll hopefully be headed to the park to meet Bob and Lucie.

Be Free


View Larger Map

3 comments:

  1. Hey Ryan, I am so happy you followed your heart...it will always lead you to the right place.

    Love from Mom

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan, I am proud of your willpower and determination that comes with par taken in such a life changing journey. Following your heart can be hard to do when the hearts of those who love you don't quite feel the same however we as parent and loved ones have given you the powerful wings to fly and flying is what you are doing. Take care, be careful and keep us posted

    love alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan, I'm glad you followed your heart and desires because if you didn't, you would allways feel that something was missing in your life. It's not that we as parents don't believe, it is that we worry and we want the best for our children. That is what we your loved ones do! But remember, you were raised to be independent and I allways told you and your brother that if you want something in life, you have to go get it because nobody is going to give it to you. You are a champion Ryan and champions never quit. I'm so very proud of you.I love you and take care.
    Love Dad XOXO

    ReplyDelete