Friday, August 26, 2011

Day 34: Corner of Hwy 17 & 632 to Marathon, Ont. (Pukaskwa National Park)

It’s Pukaskwa, Puck-a-saw!

Distance: 49.2 kms
Riding Time: 2:15 hr
Average Speed: 21.8 km/h
Max. Speed: 43.7 km/h

Today was a short for riding and basically there is nothing to say about the ride itself. Okay, well I almost got eaten by another leash-less dog, but this one was nowhere near German Shepherd size. I got to Pukaskwa National Park and managed to find Bob and Lucie’s site.

After meeting up with them, we got a chance to talk to some of the Ojibwe elders there who work for the park. They were talking about how their ancestors used the land and they had a map showing the area with all the Ojibwe place names on it. I love learning about native culture because it makes you realise that before Europeans arrived and took over, there was a flourishing human presence that had been living here for millennia.

Afterward, Bob offered to take me on a paddle in the canoe. Bob had done many things in his life, including racing canoes, and he complimented me on my stroke! Must have been that course I took when I was 8 or so. After the paddle - which was so serene - I went for a hike by myself and picked a whole sandwich container of blueberries in about half hour. They are everywhere! Later, after a great simple supper that Lucie made, I went by the river to use my computer by the visitor center and I saw the MOST incredible moonrise I have ever seen. It peaked up over the horizon as orange as an orange and as it rose, the reflection looked like a shimmering road of orangeness.

Tomorrow I'll head to Terrace Bay and if I have the juice and the rain holds out I may hit up Nipigon.

PS: Check out Lucie's artwork, she is very gifted. It's all pencil sketchwork: www.luciegagnonartist.ca


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment