Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day 30: Sault Ste. Marie, Ont. to Montréal River, Ont.

Never fear, super-cyclists to the rescue!

Distance: 130.1 kms
Riding Time: 5:39 hrs
Average Speed: 22.9 km/h
Max. Speed: 57.9 km/h

I left Sault Ste. Marie on a route outlined in a pamphlet from Vélorution, but still managed to get lost. I was consulting my trusty road map when a cyclist came along, asked if I was lost and offered some help. He was actually going the same way so we travelled together for a while. Once we got to the 17 again we parted ways, but not before he donated a delicious smoothie flavoured energy bar to the cause.

As I was biking I started to feel a little feverish and I think I may still have a lingering cold, but I managed to make it to Montréal River. I was planning to spend the night in the woods, but when I stopped to fill my waterbottles at a campground/resort, who do I run in to? Another cycling group who ended up inviting me to camp with them! Of course, they are all heading east, but still. The timing of it all seems perfect. I mean, the camping spot wasn't in my direct line of view when I entered. It just so happened that when I pulled into the campground, two of the cyclists were headed to the bathroom near the entrance. If I had been 30 seconds sooner or later I would not have met them. Makes me think. I made sure to get all their contact and blog information so I could follow their journeys. They are all lovely people to be around. There is a group of 4 women from Québec with an average age of 58 who are cycling across Canada, and two younger guys, Robin Taylor and John Turecki who had joined them earlier in their trip. If you want to check their websites, look at the blogs that I'm following.

Tomorrow I'll head to Wawa to stay with some relatives. I hear the ride will be quite a challenge, but I'm up for it.


View Larger Map

1 comment:

  1. You are lovely people to be around too Ryan. Ha. Hd a campfir in the Soo last night and it was a rager. The guy made it seem very easy. I don't Know why we were so inept. Hope you enjoyed your tailwind on the way to Wawa. Our ride to the Soo was pretty slick. John and I hammered a beer at the top of mile hill to celebrate our last big climb. Have fun in northern Ontario and don't trust that there are actually towns where all those map dots are.

    ReplyDelete