Friday, August 26, 2011

Day 35: Pukaskwa, Ont. to Nipigon, Ont.

Over da hill

Distance: 210.7 kms
Riding: 8:44 hrs
Average Speed: 24.1 km/h
Max. Speed: 70.1 km/h

Well, this was a day on an epic scale. I started fairly early at 9 am and went down the 13 km side road to meet up with the main highway #17. It was a gorgeous day with blue skies and sun, but not too hot. After a quick stop for breakfast I arrived in Terrace Bay at about 2 pm. I had some lunch and stopped to get a "mickey" (or pint, as Nova Scotians call them) because I felt like having a drink. I decided it would be okay to try for Nipigon, about 105 kms away after already going about 100 or so.

Well! The hills were unbelievable. I don't know what mountain range is here, but they are monsters. Long (4-5 kms) hills with pretty steep slopes. The descents are amazing and are well worth the climb though. Take a look at the map link below and zoom in around Rossport. After that, there were some serious hills.

I was thoroughly exhausted when I arrived in Nipigon and was intending to stay at a motel called Town & Country motel. However, I met some other cyclists on the way there that were camped out at a rest stop. So I stopped and they're headed west too! Their names are Dylan and Katie, from Victoria. They left from Peterborough, Ont. and are headed back to beautiful Victoria.

Tomorrow we'll travel to Thunder Bay and I'll tell you more about Dylan and Katie. They are pretty interesting folks.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment