Saturday, August 27, 2011

Day 42: Dryden, Ont. to Kenora, Ont.

If you can't take the heat, go to Northern Ontario and jump in a lake

Distance: 143.9 kms
Riding Time: 6:04 hrs
Average Speed: 23.6 km/h
Max. Speed: 54.7 km/h

Today was suppose to be a hot one, and the weatherman did not lie. There were record setting temperatures in Winnipeg and much of Manitoba. Winnipeg reached a temperature of 36.8 degrees Celsius! I'm not sure how hot it was where I was, but il fait chaud! So chaud in fact that at one point, while driving past one of the 1000's of lakes in this area, I jumped in one (Bee Lake I think it was called). It was so refreshing! But it seemed like I was only wet for about 2 minutes before the sun was making bacon of my poor hide once again.

After many breaks, including one that saw me devour a delicious square of Reese's Pieces fudge, I ended up in Kenora. It was quite late, about 7:30 pm, when I arrived, so after touching base with my hosts for the evening I got a bite to eat and headed to their place (My thanks go to Matthew Jeffers for asking his aunt and uncle if I could spend the night at their place). By the time I got going it was getting very dark, but the street lights were allowing me to see just fine. Wouldn't you know it though, the street I was headed for had no lights and was very long. No worries though, I threw on my trusty headlight and got there. But not before spotting two deer very close to the road. The way they ran made them look like spirits that were flying through the night.

Tomorrow I'll bid adieu to Ontario, and not soon enough.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment