Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day 28: Desbarats, Ont. to Sault Ste. Marie, Ont.


The day the door opened and I crossed the threshold

Distance: 58.3 kms
Riding Time: 2:17 hrs
Average Speed: 25.4 km/h
Max. Speed: 46.4 km/h

I will remember this day forever. Not because I rode super far (because I didn’t), but because of who I met and how things came together how they did. I swear it was orchestrated by a higher being.

This morning wasn’t the best. I slept in, but I felt great and well rested when I woke up at 9. I made some oatmeal, some PB and J sandwiches to eat and some coffee - all very leisurely. Finally at 10:30 I was beginning to pack up my things and decided I would fix a wobble in my rear wheel. I heard a noise behind me and there was one of the young girls that lived at the house standing there holding an iphone with a clock display. She says to me, “Granddad says it’s time to go”.  Well I was quite insulted, but I said thank you nonetheless and got on my way, grumpier than the Grinch on Christmas. I hadn’t figured out yet where I was going to stop, but I decided I would take a break at least in Sault Ste. Marie.

On the way, a thunder and lightning storm started, so I wanted to find a spot to rest up and eat. I stopped at a Huskey’s outside of Sault Ste. Marie and this is where it really gets interesting. I walk into the restaurant looking like a drowned rat, people staring at me thinking WTF?, but when I’m looking for a table an older gentleman sitting alone asks me if I wanted to join him.

His name was Jean Béliveau, he is from Montréal. He left home in August 2000 and has walked around the world for 11 years. His reason: he was having a mid-life crisis. His cause: peace for children around the world. His journey will be over in October this year (2011) where he will once again be with is family, wife and kids, and his newly born grand kids in Montréal. He is and will always be a source of inspiration for myself and I’m sure many other people. It was the greatest honour to meet him and to have lunch with him. His webpage is www.wwwalk.com. Check him out and spread the word, his story is amazing.

If I can continue, I know I don’t usually write this long, but this day was something else. The waitress at the restaurant was so kind, her name was Sharon, she made sure my water and coffee was always full and she was genuinely very interested in both mine and Jean’s stories. She even wrote a book or a journal about the people she has met going through the restaurant. She obviously really enjoys living vicariously through adventurous people. I’ll share her journal once she sends me it.

Anyway, my mind was blown when I left the restaurant, the sun came out, it was a spiritually rich experience. My eyes felt opened. I felt like I had crossed through a threshold and now saw the light.

I drove down the road a km and saw a stripmall with a CIBC, so I stopped to get some cash. Then I saw a grocery store and stopped to get food. As I was picking up some nectarines a lady tells me that there are other local nectarines that are much tastier, so I bought them instead. When I was packing up my stuff outside, I see this same lady and she tells me about this bike shop, Vélorution. OH!! I said. I didn’t know that was here! It’s a top-of-the-line bike shop that even has free camping in the back, wifi, and a bathroom with shower. Hard to believe it’s all free. So I go there, after another intense lightning storm I make it. I picked up a new rear tire because the one I had bought in North Bay was a warped piece of … rubber. I met some cool folks here too who are travelling through. One guy from Montréal who cycled from BC, another couple from Québec and Gaspésie. And another fellow, a 68 year old gentleman by the name of Ken Gran, who has been travelling the world as a missionary on a bike for about 15 years. He has written 7 books and has seen the world. He’s a very spiritual man and we have had some great discussions. Gonna have a few wobbly pops tonight and cook on the bbq here. Night!
Check out Vélorutions website: http://www.velorution.ca/ (PS Vélo is french for bike, so think vélo and revolution)




View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment