Saturday, August 13, 2011

Day 27: Nairns Center, Ont to Desbarats, Ont.


Been a long time comin', but a short story tellin'

Distance: 204.5 kms
Riding Time: 7:46 kms
Average Speed: 26.3 km/h
Max. Speed: 49.6 km/h 

Woke up super early to the hacking cough of my host’s lovely girlfriend out to have a smoke. I packed my gear and left ASAP.  

Last night was terrible. I’ll be completely honest, I barely slept, maybe 4 hours at most, because while I was talking to my girlfriend last night she decided she wanted to break up with me. I’m not getting into details, but just know I was pretty shook up. And still am.

My ride today was like a therapy ride. I went from 7:30 am and only arrived at around 8 pm. I didn’t want to stop, make small talk with anyone – just pedal. So I did. And I’m happy I went this far. It feels like I’ve accomplished something and put maybe a little behind me. I really want to enjoy this trip to its fullest, but to be honest, I feel like I can’t get out of Ontario soon enough. I’m hoping Lake Superior is as nice as I’ve heard, but I guarantee that the it will be just as crappy.

Anyway, enough doom and gloom. I saw the coolest herd of cows today. As I rode by them, they started galloping along with me! (That is, if cows gallop) I had to take some pictures so I went for a visit and they all came over to me. What a cool and inquisitive bunch of bovine. 

I’ve landed in Desbarats, Ont. Population 600. There was someone here on warmshowers who said cyclists could camp on their yard. But when I arrived, the person on warmshowers wasn’t here but her husband generously offered to put me up in the cabin in the back. It has satellite tv, a bathroom, but sadly no internet.

Tomorrow I’ll head through the Sault and then who knows.




View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment